Alumni Facility Hire

Pupil Premium and Free School Meals

The pupil premium is additional funding provided to state funded schools in England. The aim is to improve outcomes for disadvantaged children. Evidence has shown that students from deprived backgrounds underachieve compared to their non‐deprived peers. The premium is provided in order to support these students to enable them to reach their full potential. 

Pupils eligible to receive this funding are those who have been entitled to free school meals within the last six years and children in care or looked after, including children who have been adopted from care. 

At Newstead Wood, we recognise the importance of using PP funding effectively in order to raise students’ attainment and enable them to reach their full potential. 

See below for our PP strategy and expenditure reports demonstrating how we aim to achieve this. 

Applying for Free School Meals

You can apply for Free School Meals if you receive or are eligible for any of these benefits: 

  • Income Support (IS) 
  • Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA) 
  • Income-related employment and support allowance (IRESA) 
  • Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, that does not exceed £16,190 
  • Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit 
  • Where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit run-on (the payment someone receives for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit) 
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999. 
  • Universal Credit with an annual net earned income of no more than £7400 as assessed by earnings. 

Registration is confidential and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming. Students can also register for free school meals if they receive any of these benefits themselves.  If you or your child prefers not to claim the free meals, your child can continue to have a packed lunch. However, it is important that you still register for Free School Meals to ensure the school receives the Pupil Premium funding. 

For further information and to apply for Free School Meals, please access the Bromley Council Website here. You should apply through the London Borough of Bromley even if you live in a different local authority as it is the school borough that is relevant to Free School Meals. 

United Learning comprises: United Learning Ltd (Registered in England No: 00018582. Charity No. 313999) UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee.
Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.

Financial Accountability and Freedom of Information
Website Terms, Cookies and Privacy